Mr. Faisal Siddiqi
Mr. Faisal Siddiqi is a Lawyer practicing in the High Courts and Supreme Court of Pakistan in the areas of Constitutional, Corporate, Civil and Criminal Law. He also specializes in Human Rights work, for example Rape cases, Labour rights cases, Education rights cases etc. He is a Founding Trustee of the ‘Legal Aid Foundation for Victims of Rape and Sexual Assault’, a Board Member of ‘Pakistan Institute of Labour Education and Research’ and the Executive Director of the ‘Rasheed Razvi Centre for Constitutional and Human Rights’. He has been a visiting fellow at the London School of Economics and Political Science and McGill University and has also published academically and writes a regular column in Dawn.
Mr. Khalid Mahmood
Mr. Khalid Mahmood has been the managing director and CEO of Getz Pharma (Pvt) Limited, Pakistan, since its inception in 1995. Getz Pharma is the 2rd largest Pharmaceutical company and the largest pharmaceutical exporter of Pakistan. The company is one of the largest tax payers and employers of the country. Mr. Mahmood currently serves on the board of the Zindagi Trust (http://www.zindagitrust.org) and the board of Eqbal Ahmed Center for Public Education. (http://www.eacpe.org). He has served as the president of the board of The World Wide Fund for Nature – Pakistan (WWF-P) during 2013-2015 and was its board member for six years. He currently serves as the Chairman of Peace Niche/ T2F (http://www.t2f.biz) and is a supporter of the preservation and development of music, theatre arts and culture, and supports programs and initiatives in the areas of education, health, and sports for the underprivileged communities. Mr. Khalid has an MBA from Rutgers School of Management, Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA and a B.S in Industrial Engineering from California State University, Pomona, California, USA.
Mrs. Shaheen Suleman
Mrs. ShaheenSuleman has been asscociated with the Legal Aid Foundation as a board member since its inception. She is also one of the founding members of the Patients’ Aid Foundation (PAF) and Honorary General Secretary of PAF.
Mrs. Suleman is a graduate in Political Science, Sociology and Education and Law from University of Karachi and holds various certifications in Rural Development, Problem Solving and Decision Making and Family Planning Programs. Mrs. Suleman has worked as a social worker in a free dispensary at Orangi Town and Kathor and has established various schools, maternity homes and libraries in rural areas of Sindh.
Mr. Javed Iqbal Burqi
Mr. Javed Iqbal Burqi is a known legal activist, who is involved in various struggles for the enforcement of the legal rights of the people of Pakistan and is interested in safeguarding the interest of public at large. A list of some of the public interest litigation and human rights cases instituted by Mr. Burqi is as follows:
- CP No. 3318 of 2012 [‘PILER and Others Versus Federation of Pakistan and Others’] in relation to the 2012 Baldia Factory Fire tragedy involving a factory fire which led to the death of 255 workers (largest number of deaths in a factory fire). Through the aforementioned Constitution Petition, directions were sought for judicial inquiry, compensation, enforcement of labour laws, criminal case against the factory owners.
- CP No. 295 of 2013 [‘PILER and Others Versus SBCA and Others’] is also in relation to 2012 Baldia Factory Fire tragedy. The focus of this Petition is the accountability of International inspection firms operating in Pakistan issuing SA 8000 certificates and actions against owners for lack of safety provisions.
- CP No. 1181 of 2014 [‘PILER and Others vs. Federation of Pakistan and Others’] is a Constitutional petition for the enforcement of the right to food in relation to drought hit areas
- CP No. 269 of 2015 [‘PILER and Others vs. Province of Sindh and Others’] is a Constitutional Petition for the enforcement of the right to security in educational institutions in Sindh especially after the December 16th, 2014, Peshawar incident (in which over 130 children were killed.
- CP No. 5517 of 2014 [Javed Iqbal Burqi Versus Federation of Pakistan and Others] – NICH Case which was in relation to banners and slogans and political influence of various political parties in NICH hospital.